Friday: Mike Mussina (1-0 2.77 ERA)
- 2005: 13-8, 180.2 IP, 142 K, 4.41 ERA
- The 37-year-old battled elbow problems last year.
- Has a career record against the Twins of 137-1 with a –3.43 ERA. Roughly.
- His six year, $88.5 million dollar contract expires at the end of this year.
- In his eight career at-bats against Mussina, Rondell White has a five hits, including a home run.
- Heckling Tip - “Where’s the ring, Mike?” Came to New York to be the ace on a champion. After winning four in the five years before he arrived, the Yankees have won zero since.
Saturday: Jaret Wright (0-1, 4.50 ERA)
- Fun with numbers. Check these ERA:
2001: 6.52 ERA
2003: 7.35 ERA
2004: 3.28 ERA
- Guess which year he worked with former Braves pitching coach/demigod Leo Mazzone?
- After 2004, convinced that Wright is the ace they need in their rotation, the Yankees sign him for $21 million.
- 2005: 6.08 ERA (giggle.)
- This is his first start this year, after battling back spasms during spring training.
- Heckling Tip - “You’re nothing without Leo!” Or worship him for turning one decent year into $21 million.
Sunday: Chien-Ming Wang (0-0, 5.91 ERA)
- 2005: 8-5, 116.1 IP, 47 K, 4.02 ERA
- Rookie who did a nice job stepping in for injuries last year.
- Heckling Tip – Time to break out those Rodney Dangerfield impressions:
“Hey, Wang! What's with the pictures? It’s a parking lot! Come on!” or
“Ask Wang. He’ll tell you. We just bought property behind the Great Wall. On the good side!”