Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Mariners Targets

Hey gang,

I'm heading to bed, so there won't be a usual column today, but amid rumors that the Mariners might be making a proposal for Johan today, I briefly researched the two names that have been mentioned the most, and I thought I might share it with you.

Adam Jones - Yesterday I talked about getting an all-star caliber player back in the trade. Jones looks like that kind of guy. He's a right-handed center fielder who doesn't have the greatest plate discipline. But he's just 22 years old, and he absolutely owned AA as a 21-year old, posting a .315 average and a .568 sluggin percentage. ThinkTorii Hunter, with a worse glove but a better bat.

Brandon Morrow - The good news is that he was their #1 pick in 2006 and spent pretty much the whole year in the majors after jumping straight from A ball. The bad news is that he spent it all at the back of the bullpen. That's probably because he had some real control issues, walking 50 guys in just 63 innings. Youch. It didn't hurt him too much - he posted a 4.12 ERA and struck out a guy per inning in the bigs, but of course that was in relief.

The 23-year-old right-hander is supposed to be starting games in Winter ball this year. If he joined the Twins, you can bet there is no way he starts the year in the majors, and I wouldn't project him much higher than another middle-of-the-rotation guy, kinda like Ian Kennedy.

They're a solid start to a package, though I'd rather replace Morrow with another high-ceiling bat, even if he's not necessarily ready for the bigs this year. As soon as we get whispers of an offer, I'll let you know what I can find out about them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think they should be sure to ask about Jeff Clement while they are talking. Jones would be a nice pick up though!

Nick N. said...

The general consensus seems to be that Santana would not accept a trade to Seattle. I wouldn't be opposed to a Jones/Morrow package though. I'm still really hoping that Dodgers get back into the bidding.

Anonymous said...

Santana's agent said they haven't restricted the Twins in any way, so we really don't know where he'll agree to go. Seattle is definitely out of the limelight, though probably not more than Minnesota, but he could put up monster numbers playing in a park like Safeco.