Sunday, October 28, 2007

Notes from a loss. And a win.

The Voice of Reason and I attended Sunday's Vikings-Eagles tilt, thanks to the kind offrer of Wolves Geek. There were highlights....

Sadly, It Does NOT Include a Cardiogram - You probably already know about Ike's weekend brunch, but if you don't, it's certainly worth checking out. That is, unless you don't like all-you-can-eat hash browns, bacon, sausage, pancakes, omelettes, quesadillas and eggs benedict. Or, you might think that a cinnamon role the size of your head is excessive. I obviously don't.

But what you might not know, and something I don't think they advertise, is that they open early on Vikings game days. They opened the doors early for us at 9:20. The only trick is that they won't seat you until your entire party is present.

In Philly, They Do Something Similar. Only It Involves Being Arrested and Sent to Kangaroo Court. - When TVOR gave her ticket to the turnstile guy, he scanned it, but said it was listed on his scanner as a stolen ticket. She was shocked, because these were Wolves Geek's season tickets. He scanned it again - still came up stolen. She pointed out that I had already been waived through, and so had both our friends. He scanned it again. Still stolen.

At which point she started stammering pointlessly - and he burst out in smile. He just wanted to give the girl in a Eagles sweatshirt a hard time.

Because You Can't March to E-A-G-L-E-S - We were sitting in the rafters, surrounded by Eagles fans, which left TVOR feeling right at home. But it was clear that our many guests were having trouble adjusting to football in the state. And none more than when they kept hearing the Vikings Skol song.

And for Childress, They've Settled on Captain Dynamic - So everytime, that Adrian Peterson had a significant run, the Jumbotron would show him along with a nickname that the Vikings marketing department has settled on. The player that Childress consistently declares is a backup and who is limited to touching the ball 20 times per game is supposed to be called "All Day".

By the way, they were ahead at the time - The Eagles fans were enjoying themselves and brought some much needed passion to the game. For instance, after one incomplete pass, I heard the following yelled in quick succession from the Birds' faithful:

"Oh, NI-I-I- ICE pass McNabb! You suck!"
"Reid! What are you doing passing on first down, you moron!"
"Reid! Why don't you take some time off and deal with your degenerate kids?!"
"Hey, it's Santa! GET HIM!"

OK, I'm making up the last one.

And that about covers it, except for the game itself. We'll nee to get back to that later in the week.

3 comments:

Nick N. said...

At which point she started stammering pointlessly - and he burst out in smile. He just wanted to give the girl in a Eagles sweatshirt a hard time.

He should have just asked her how the Phillies did in the playoffs.

Anonymous said...

So everytime, that Adrian Peterson had a significant run, the Jumbotron would show him along with a nickname that the Vikings marketing department has settled on. The player that Childress consistently declares is a backup and who is limited to touching the ball 20 times per game is supposed to be called "All Day".

The Vikes' marketing dept has nothing to do with the All-Day moniker. It has been Peterson's nickname dating back to college, high school and even "since the age of 2.":

On his nickname, AD, All Day

I've been hearing that since I was two. I ran around all the time. Never wanted to stop. Never wanted to sleep. I just kept going all day. My dad and mom gave me the nickname. When I started playing ball, my coaches said the same thing about how I played, that I could go all day.

(click my name for link to above)

SL__72 said...

FWIW I like AG's (did he coin it?) "Purple Jesus" much more then "All Day."