Tuesday, March 07, 2006

For those of you looking for the tribute to Kirby, it's below this one. You can also click here.
For the rest of you, time for a mailbag. These are actual letters from my readers. Except for those that I made up.

Ummm….didn’t you break up with me?

[Shiver.] Is it morning already? I remember deciding that we’d do a shot every time the bride and groom kissed, and I vaguely remember dancing to Careless Whisper, but I’m having trouble piecing things together after that. How did we end up at your place? And, ummm, how ya been? Good to see you again.

Should we be joking at a time like this? Should you be writing?

Absolutely not. If there is one thing that Kirby would not approve of, it’s jocularity in the face of tragedy. Or doing something you love when it is hardest.

So, the site is back?

Kinda. It’s not going to be TwinsTerritory.com, because for now it’ll just be me. And it’s really not going to be the old TwinsGeek.com, with a column length entry every day. It’s going to be a little more “bloggy” than in the past, with shorter takes, immediate reactions, snippets of longer stories and probably more non-baseball/family stuff than I’ve written about in the past.

Why is it going to be different?

Most of the column length baseball stuff is going to be done someplace else, and I’m not ready to tell you about that yet. Gimme a week, or at least a couple of days. I’m very excited about it – excited enough to get the site back up, which was nearly unthinkable just three weeks ago. And I’m not just excited for me. I’m excited for Twins baseball writers (and especially bloggers) overall. I’m giddy. Stay tuned.

Weren’t you supposed to email me or something when the site was back up?

I still will, but it wasn’t supposed to be back up yet. I was trying to work on it quietly until I figured out exactly how it was going to work. Then Kirby had his stroke, and there’s just no way you don’t write about that. I figured I'd be safe, since nobody knew it was really here. Then I visited the StarTribune.com’s Kirby page and saw a link to it.

For the record, I’m not very happy with that story. The five months of rust really show. I spent 36 hours struggling with what to write, hoping it would finish or at least capture the grieving process a bit. I kicked myself the whole next morning about what I should’ve said. That was the start of the grieving process, not the end. I think I’m going to take another stab at it soon, but it probably won’t be here.

Is The Addition™ done?

Depends on whom you ask. I say yes. The Voice of Reason™ says no. But it’s awfully close.

So I should stop back tomorrow for more Twins talk?

Probably. No promises – I really am trying to figure out what this site will be, and what I can handle. Or if there’s anything worth writing other than more about Kirby. We’ll see. But I sure hope you stop by and find out.
Thanks,
John

6 comments:

Nick N. said...

Glad to see you back TG, in whatever capacity that may be. Things haven't been quite the same without you.

SBG said...

Tiiiiiime was on our side, yes it was! You came running back, you came running back, you came running back, to us! Look forward to reading you again.

armadillo44 said...

Welcome back. I never did remove your bookmark from my browser and have continued checking it every now and then. Guess I must have somehow known that this day would come.

Heavy Critters said...

Welcome back, yo.

I can't wait to read your new material. The "bloggier" the better!

Eric
Former Baseball Boy

John Sharkey, Esq. said...

Wouldn't be a season without you.

Tom said...

Wow it's like Jordan coming back to the NBA...the second time.

Good to see ya back John!